AAA offers free services, safety tips for 'Deadliest Day' of the year | Transportation
As 2012 comes to a close this evening, American Automobile Association wants drivers to plan ahead if they will be out late welcoming the new year.
According to AAA, New Year's Day is the deadliest day for alcohol-related fatalities.
The company will be offering a free tow-to-go service for members as well as non-members for the New Year.
From Dec. 31 6:00 p.m. to Jan. 1 6:00 a.m. you can have a free ride and your car towed for up to 10 miles.
To use the service call 1-800-222-4357.
As this is a national service, there are select areas.
Locally, the service is only available in Memphis and the rest of the state of Tennessee.
An AAA spokesperson said this is a last resort option for those out celebrating, but anyone who is drinking is welcome to use the service.
AAA listed the following tips for for New Year’s partygoers about making the holiday as safe as possible in The Washington Post:
- Always plan ahead to designate a non-drinking driver before any party or celebration begins
- Never get behind the wheel of a car when you’ve been drinking alcohol – even after just one drink
- Never ride as a passenger in a car driven by someone who has been drinking alcohol – even after just one drink
- Do not hesitate to take the keys from friends or family members who may be impaired
- Call a taxi for a friend in need
- Be a responsible host in reminding guests to stay safe and always offer alcohol-free beverages
- If you encounter an impaired driver on the road, keep a safe distance and ask a passenger to call 911 (or pull over to a safe location to make the call yourself)
- Remember: prescription, over-the-counter medications and illegal drugs also can impair your ability to drive safely.
Also, below are some Memphis Taxi services:
For those of you in northern Mississippi, there is a local towing service offering similar services for $10. Click here for more.